Friday, May 20, 2005

one post before the road...


Will be leaving for Sydney in a few hours time. Don't really know when is the next time I will blog again. So I've decided to post this one just before leaving.

Wrote this on Shaun's tagboard. I have no idea where I got the inspiration from, but it was a very "me" kind of post. (becuase it has to do with math!)

The mistake a lot of people make in math is that they try to get everything done in as few steps as possible. And as a result they loose marks. I have observed that this seems to be the case especially among the current batch of secondary school students. Especially among the few whom I have tutored; always looking for a "shortcut".

Well, all I can say is, stop looking for one. When you go through the tedious process of writing all the steps down, rather than working it mentally in your head, you will see an entirely different picture. I guess that is why primary school kids are taught to use models in their math.

A series of small and simple steps is a lot easier to understand than a single whole complicated mess. And like one of you told me, "you make it look so simple!". The truth is, it is simple; after I broke the problem down into like 10 smaller steps right?

At higher level, the whole point in mathematics is to develop a rigourous argument (or proof). This usually involved splitting a single proof into smaller steps and solving each smaller step. And using the combined results to give the full theorem. It's done this way so that the argument is irrefutable.

But more importantly, I think this lesson can be applied to our Christian faith as well. Earning salvation can be done by a simple descision and an honest prayer. But working out that salvation is tedious process of aches and pains.

But, instead of working out through the trials and temptations that come our way, we try to take short cuts; and as a result, we loose marks. We don't get the full picture and we naturally feel incomplete.

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." - James 1:2-4

Times of trials and testing will come. One is on its way for the Youth Ministry. In fact, it has already begun. But let's take it head on, and with pure joy. For at the end of it, we will reap a greater harvest! Let take it one smalle step at a time.

Here is the most updated picture of the building:


Our new building is being built one small step at a time. One floor at a time. But it will be ready soon. So in the same way, let's let the master Builder build our faith as well.

(picture courtesy of Shaun)

PS: Now I remember where I got the inspiration from, it was from Shaun's post about his math results! :)